Class 7 Recipes of the day:
Kartoffelpuffer (German potato cakes)
Ingredients: potatoes, onion, egg, flour, salt, rosemary, parsley, oil
- Peel and grate 1kg floury potatoes (eg Agria)
- Chop very finely, or fine grate, 1 onion
- Mix potatoes and onion with 2 eggs, 1t salt, 2T organic flour, pinch of rosemary and parsley
Heat oil in frying pan over medium high heat. Reduce to medium-low, put large spoonfuls of mixture in hot oil. Fry until golden brown on the bottom, then flip over and fry till other side golden brown. Drain on paper towels, keep warm in oven while cooking the rest of the mixture Serve warm with apple sauce and salad
Spiced pumpkin cakes
Calzone (Pizza turnover)
(Pizza dough, extra olive oil, filling)
Make pizza dough earlier so it is risen and ready to bake (can use double or triple. The yeast in our recipe if you want it to rise faster).
Preheat oven to 220 degree C.
Make filling (see separate recipe) and place on oiled baking tray.
Roll pizza dough out thinly (large circles for big calzone to cut in wedges, small circles for individual “turnovers”. )
Brush dough circles with olive oil (or rub with hands). Spread filling over the half of the dough circle nearest to you, leaving a little space at the edges.
Fold the other half of the dough over the filling to make the edges meet. Press edges together with a fork to seat well.
Brush top with olive oil (or beaten egg) sprinkle with salt. Pierce a few holes with knife tip (to let out stream).
Bake 10-20 mins till brown and crisp.
Calzone (filling – enough for 2 large calzones)
Ingredients: chees, herbs, silverbeet, garlic.
MIX TOGETHER IN A LARGE BOWL:
- 100g ricotta (or other soft white chees)
- 100g blue chees (or other)
- 100g cheddar
- 50g parmesan
(350g chees in total – use a mixture you like – experiment or just use what you have)
- Fresh herbs (lots) – basil, thyme, parsley, oregano, mint…
- silverbeet leaves, rolled and shredder
- silverbeet stalks (shared and cooked with shred onion in a little olive oil) OR: shred spring onion
- garlic, crushed or minced 1-2 cloves salt and pepper to taste.